Work began last week on the Roosevelt Way NE Paving & Safety Improvements Project and construction is currently underway in Zone A, between NE 65th St to NE Ravenna Blvd. We expect construction in Zone A will last approximately 8 weeks, while the whole project will take 6-8 months to complete.
Zone A construction continues the week of March 21
Last week, crews completed sawcutting for sidewalk removal in Zone A, survey, and other preparatory work. This week, construction continues in Zone A with:
· Demolition and concrete pouring for sidewalk corners and curb ramps
· Sawcutting and preparation to install conduit for bus islands
· Making drainage connections that will leave steel plates on the road
This work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if necessary.
We will maintain access to shops and businesses at all times. Please continue to eat, shop, and play in the Roosevelt Business District throughout construction!
The corridor has been divided into 5 work zones, outlined in this map, with an expectation that construction will be complete in one zone before moving to the next. The exception to this is work in Zone E, which will be completed in conjunction with work in another zone. We anticipate work in each zone will take 4 to 8 weeks to complete.
Work on the University Bridge (Zone E) will require 3 weekend closures to all traffic but the dates for these closures have not yet been set, but will not occur on weekends with major activities in the area (e.g. Opening Day of boating season, University Street Fair, University of Washington commencement) and will be coordinated with other major planned road closures.
During construction, residents, businesses, and travelers can expect the following:
· Weekday work hours, 7 AM – 5 PM, Monday–Friday
· Lane restrictions; one lane maintained at all times and two lanes maintained during the morning and afternoon commute hours (7-9 AM, 3-6 PM)
· Bike lane closure in construction zone; people on bikes should follow signed detour or merge with traffic – click here to view bike detour map for Zone A construction
· On-street parking restrictions during construction; west side parking will be permanently removed (see below for more information)
· Closed sections of sidewalks and pedestrian detours with temporary access that meets current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements
· Temporary bus stop relocations or closures; for more information, visitmetro.kingcounty.gov
· Short term loss of access to driveways and side streets (SDOT will notify affected properties in advance)
· Steel plates on the roadway and rough pavement after grinding
· Construction noise, dust, and vibration
· Temporary delays and longer travel time through the work zones
For crews to complete work safely and efficiently, we have placed temporary “No parking” signs along Roosevelt Way NE in Zone A (NE 65th St to NE Ravenna Blvd). These restrictions are currently in place 6:30 AM – 6 PM, Monday through Friday, on both sides of Roosevelt Way NE between NE 65th St and NE Ravenna Blvd.
We are working to minimize impacts, including on-street parking restrictions, as much as feasible. City ordinance requires temporary “No parking” signs to be in place for 72 hours prior to the start of a restriction and though crews may not be actively working in an area with a parking restriction, the restriction is place to allow crews the flexibility needed to complete work.
Parking is still available on Roosevelt Way NE on most nights and weekends. Check the “No parking” signs for time limits and dates of restriction before deciding to park on or off of Roosevelt Way NE.
To help minimize impacts during and after construction, we’re adding more on-street parking to portions of 9th Ave NE, NE 62nd St, and NE 61st St. Click here for a downloadable postcard with information on where to park during construction in Zone A and let us know if you’d like a stack of these for your business or organization.
The SDOT outreach team is working directly with residents and businesses on Roosevelt Way NE throughout construction. We will send weekly email updates throughout construction and keep the project webpage up to date. Please forward this email to those you think will be interested or share this link to sign up to receive construction updates via email.
More information is available on the project webpage at: www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_roosevelt.htm.
Questions or concerns? Contact the project team at RooseveltCorridor@seattle.gov or (206) 727-3575.
Thank you for your patience and support through construction. We will strive to minimize construction impacts as much as possible.
Eric Tweit, SDOT Project Manager, Jeremy Walliman, SDOT Resident Engineer, Paul Elliott, SDOT Community Relations/Outreach