What’s happening on the highway from Renton to Shoreline
Roadwork and special events to cause travel delays this weekend
Foodies, sports fans, triathletes, concertgoers and construction crews will converge on Seattle area roads this weekend. Several roadwork closures, combined with large crowds traveling to and from multiple special events, will likely cause travel delays.
Best advice? Plan ahead, leave early, combine trips, carpool or take transit for closures on Interstate 5, State Route 513/Montlake Boulevard East, State Route 520, State Route 522 and East Lake Washington Boulevard. There will also be I-90 express lanes schedule changes on Saturday, July 18, and Sunday, July 19, for Bite of Seattle, a Seattle Sounders FC game and the Seafair Triathlon. You can read a whole list of major events happening in the Seattle area on our King County Special Events webpage.
SR 522 in Lake Forest Park
- **DRIVER ALERT** The City of Lake Forest Park will close both directions of SR 522/Bothell Way Northeast from Brookside Boulevard Northeast to State Route 104/Ballinger Way Northeast from 7 p.m. Friday, July 17, to 6 a.m. Monday, July 20, for culvert replacement work.
East Lake Washington Boulevard in Seattle
- East Lake Washington Boulevard between State Route 513/Montlake Boulevard East and East Roanoke Street will be closed from 7 p.m. Friday, July 17, to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 19, for work on the State Route 520 project.
Westbound SR 520 near Medina
- The 84th Avenue Northeast on-ramp to westbound SR 520 will be closed from 11 p.m. Friday, July 17, to 5 a.m. Monday, July 20, for tolling work.
Northbound I-5 in Seattle
- Three right lanes of northbound I-5 under the Washington State Convention Center will be closed from 12:30 to 3:30 a.m. Saturday, July 18, for fire suppression testing work. The Cherry Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will also be closed.
SR 513/Montlake Boulevard East in Seattle
- The left lanes along both directions of SR 513/Montlake Boulevard East across the Montlake Bridge will be closed from 6 to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 18, for deck repair work.
**DRIVER ALERT** SR 18 closed in Auburn next weekend, July 24-27
Headed south of Seattle next weekend? I-5 and SR 167 could get jammed due to a major closure on SR 18 in Auburn. Westbound SR 18 at SR 167 will be closed around-the-clock July 24-27. Eastbound will be down to one lane. During the closure, crews working on the SR 167 – 8th to 277th Southbound HOT Lane project will add a new bridge pier to support a new overpass over SR 18.